- Transmedia Storytelling refers to any strategy involving more than one media platform.
- Transmedia is basically a new promotional strategy.
- Transmedia means games.
- Transmedia is for geeks.
- Transmedia requires a large budget.
- Everything should go transmedia.
- Transmedia is "so ten minutes ago."
|Source: Ogilvy Entertainment|
A second interesting article came from Forbes who reported that Barbie was selling her Malibu Dream House for a mere $25 million and is setting off for bigger and better things. The whimsical “For Sale” sign was the start of a Mattel marketing campaign to unveil a new Barbie Dream House just in time for the holiday season. While this ‘pinktastrophy’ was more than entertaining what caught me most was Mattel’s excellent example of transmedia storytelling in a marketing setting. Mattel partnered with luxury real estate agent, Josh Altman, cast member of Bravo’s Million Dollar Listing and could find the listing and a virtual walk through of on Trulia.com. Social media campaigns also allowed fans to help decide where Barbie should move and what the house should look like and was complemented by traditional advertising. Mattel also released a YouTube web series, Barbie Life in the Dream House and will be tied together by a partnership with EMS Entertainment for travelling exhibition/experiential marketing campaign entitled, Barbie the Dream House Experience.
- Platforms Matter: Not all platforms will give you the biggest 'bang for your buck,' decide what platforms best fit your marketing strategy.
- Keep Their Attention: Consumers are in control and are not always in the digital space. Think of others ways to enhance your story outside of traditional realms.
- Tie It All Together: Use social media not as a basis for your story but as a way to tie all your marketing efforts into a cohesive effort to promote feedback.
Follow her on Twitter @lauren_pardun